Wednesday 22 August 2007

I crawled like a baby...

...is the best and only possible way to describe how I left the hospital this morning at the end of my 4th and final cycle of chemo.

The 4th being my toughest - there were days where the cumulative effects of the steroids caused me to think I was going insane, literally so insane I didn't think my mind would ever recover. I had the shakes 24 hrs a day, and the only reprieve I would have would be when I would take my muscle relaxers before bed. I get the shivers just putting these words down.

Never before in my life did I felt so week as I did today; needing the help and support of the nursing staff and Debs to maneuver me in the direction I needed to go was very scary. To say I felt and looked like a frail old man is probably apt.

I don't have much to say other than being over the moon about having finished my chemo. The next 2-3 weeks will allow for the last bit of chemo to do what it is designed to do, and then from there on, its all recovery time.

I am surprised I've even been able to get the strength to type this blog entry - but it was important that I got my thoughts down on the day of my final treatment.

"This to shall pass".

3 comments:

Spunky Trunks said...

Stu

I'm thinking of you man.

Remember that you have great power! As illustrated when you broke my bloody finger when I was wicket keeping to some of your cannon balls.

You are the man. I'll buy you a beer soon!

Chris
x

Spunky Trunks said...

Errrrr, I'd forgotten I'm Spunky Trunks!

tash said...

True words my friend... "This too shall pass". God's Blessings and healing to you across the miles. Light, love & sunshine, your sis, xx